Consent conditions - Otago region consent for work on structures on waterways
Purpose: Region wide consent for maintenance works: to place/alter/remove structures that are fixed in, on, under or over the bed; to disturb any material; to clear debris or redistribute alluvium in order to safeguard the function or structural integrity of the structure; and to drill the bed of various watercourses for the purpose of maintaining state highway bridges, culverts and other structures
A summary of the intended purpose of the consent is covered below, however for the full consent requirements, please contact Mike Brazil on 027 453 3309.
- Work must not be undertaken if the timing or location would adversely affect fish spawning or sensitive bird nesting or roosting
- The clearance of alluvium is limited to three meanders upstream and downstream of a legal structure and only to minimise or prevent adverse effects to legal structures only
- Any pits or holes formed during gravel clearance activities shall be filled in with gravel within two days
- When finishing removing gravel, the areas disturbed are contoured to a natural bed form, consistent with the adjacent bed areas
- No vegetation or storm debris or alluvium that has been removed shall be placed in the bed of the river where they:
- divert, alter or constrain the flow of water from its natural course; or
- block any navigable channel; or
- obstruct or interfere with the free flow of flood waters in any flood; or
- cause any significant adverse effect on aquatic life.
- Erosion protection structures constructed and placed in the bed of a watercourse are no greater than 100 metres in length upstream and downstream of a bridge or culvert or 100 metres along a road
- Riffles, runs and pools are reinstated where works in the watercourse alter or remove these features
- Work must not cause obstruction to any waterway or reduce the hydraulic capacity of any bridge or culvert
- The work must not impede fish passage
- Where works are undertaken on the Waipahi river consideration shall be given to maintaining angler access, where practicable
- Must take colour photographs no more than 20 working days prior to the start of work and following completion of work. Specific requirements and where these need to be sent are available from Mike
- If artefacts of any sort are found work must stop immediately, and contact Mike for further info
- Ensure there is no leakage of oil and other contaminants and no refuelling of machinery should occur onsite. If contamination happens, contact Mike immediately as there are specific steps which need to be taken.